Saturday, August 19, 2017

What I've been working on.

 These hexagon blocks are being auditioned on different color backgrounds. I've decided to use the black fabric for these. I think the blocks will make a nice wall hanging for my office. Maybe a window covering.

I auditioned these blocks and decided to go with the yellow fabric for the background.
 The following 5 blocks have been sewn. They are made following the designs Stack-N-Whack by Bethany S. Reynolds. I'm totally addicted to these designs. I have 20 blocks for this LeMoyne Star. I'll use 16 for a wall hanging and do something with the other 4. Maybe a pillow. You can click on these images and enlarge them to look at.

I was working on more of these today but it was 87 degrees in my sewing shed.

Purple Quilt part 2

 This is a quilt I've been working on for my step-mother (boss at work). I've made gifts for my father but I don't think I've given Goldie anything that I've made. I'm very grateful for her taking care of my father all these years and especially now that he is over 80.
 I'm doing this quilt in 4 sections because it is so big. I think each section is 40" x 50". This section is quilted in a spiral circle. I used a walking foot but it isn't very smooth.
 This section I free-motion-quilted each square. Some squares I just followed the pattern on the fabric. Others I did swirls or feathers and other designs.
 This section I did all over swirls. It is the first time I did swirls. Hopefully they will get better.

This is the back of the 4th section, I did circles that I feathered around and inside.

This is the whole quilt. I haven't sashed them yet. I laid them out and discovered that I put one border on wrong. "AHHHH!" If it wasn't quilted already I'd fix it. I've decided that I'm going to add a thin light border and a thicker green border to try and make up for the mess up. I think I'll do kind of a wish-bone or ribbon candy sort of quilting on the borders.

Next time I do a full size quilt I'll lay it out before I start quilting. Lesson Learned!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Purple Quilt

I've been working on the quilting for Goldie's quilt. I'm working on it in 4 sections approximately 40" x 50" each. The last two nights I've been feathering the borders.

This section is a large continues spiral.

This section is edge to edge spirals.

This section has a different quilting design in each square.

The last section I think I will quilt circles and feather them.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

First Finished Project for 2017

I finished the quilt for Daddy! I used Stack-n-Whack blocks that I had cut about 12 years ago. I used cotton batting and a thick polar fleece for the backing. The sandwich was so thick that I had to tie the layers together. I did stitch in the ditch for some lines. Then I tied each block with embroidery floss.
The overall size is 50" x 77". I gave it to Daddy yesterday and he tried to sleep with it but it made him too hot! So I must have done a good job!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Spray Basting Day

Today was warm enough to work in my Quilting Studio.
I pulled out my extra folding table so I could spray baste a couple of quilts.

This first picture is of my purple quilt. It is constructed from 2 layer cakes. (Cottage Garden by Alice Hickey for Free Spirit Fabrics and Artisan Spirit-Shimmer Pansy Metallic Tiles by Northcott Fabrics for Northcott)

I revised the Double Slice Layer Cake tutorial by Jenny Doan.

These two fabrics will be the backing fabric. I'm quilting it in quarters and then using QAYG to put it all together. It should measure out at 80" x 98" The 4 sections are at 40" x 49".
This is just showing that I pressed all seams open. I used Warm 'n Plush cotton batting.

This is a Stack-n-Whack pinwheel quilt I just basted. I'm using a luxury Fleece for the backing and Warm 'n Plush cotton batting. Pre-quilting it measures 50" x 77". I plan to stitch in the ditch around each block and the sashing and border. Then I'm going to so some simple quilting in the pinwheels so it will wash well.

Basting all of this took me a little over 4 hours.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Quilt for Daddy part 2

I've completed my quilt top

I added yellow borders (3-1/2"). I think the top is about 50 x 77 inches. I wanted to make sure it will cover Daddy. I'm going to use cotton batting and fleece for the backing. I think this will make it very warm.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Quilt in progress for Daddy.


Today I was working on an old Stack-n-Whack. Last week I put together 4 blocks. Last night and today I put together another 3. I have 2 more blocks that I have to cut more squares for the background. The pinwheel fabric I cut about 14 years ago.

This month I cut the background white-on-white fabric. I have more Stack-n-Whack blocks cut out that I will add to this I am going put a yellow border on all the blocks and quilt each block then put them all together with #QAYGmethod from Leah Day's

I also have some Lemoyne Star blocks to put together. I want this quilt to be large enough to cover Daddy.